Atwood Acres is a neighborhood in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. As of June 2011, the area has a population of 3866 residents and 947 homes. It is an unincorporated Piedmont Triad community located between downtown Winston-Salem and Reynolda Village. Atwood Acres contains a mixture of single family homes as well as multifamily apartment buildings. The houses are primarily traditional brick ranch style with some being bi-level or tri-level.
Approximately 1/3 of the original Atwoood Acres subdivision was razed for construction of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center’s Coliseum Health Care Pavillion that opened in 2008.
The remaining portion remains home to at least five churches, the Atwood Road Volunteer Fire Department, and Wake Forest Elementary School.
Located in the heart of Atwood Acres is Early Street Park. The park contains a large play structure with swings, sand volleyball pit, picnic shelter with fireplace and outdoor chess boards. In 2009 due to budget constraints the City was forced to cut funding for maintenance of many of its parks including Early Street Park. Due to an outpouring of support from citizens donation campaigns were launched by local neighborhood associations as well as churches that call or live within Atwood Acres. These efforts have been successful and today all three playgrounds maintained by Old Salem Dog Park are open for public use at no cost six days a week 7am-8pm daily (closed Christmas day).
The Atwood Acres of today has a rich history that dates back to the late 1940’s when this land was still owned by Robert H. (Bobby) and Dorothy Binford Allen. This beautiful tract of Winston-Salem, North Carolina wooded land was lovingly referred to as “Allen’s Meadow” and it is where our beloved Atwood Road Volunteer Fire Department currently sits at 3320 Old Walkertown Rd. The Mr. Bobby H. Allen Memorial is eloquently depicted on the fire trucks assigned to Station No 1 on Old Salem Road, close to where he lived with his mother Mrs. Dottie Allen until her death in 1958 before moving into his newly built home at a nearby estate named “Rosedale”.
In the mid to later 1950s this property was sold by Bobby Allen to Robert F. (Buddy) and Katherine W. (Katie) Oates who built a home on what is today known as Atwood Lake Drive and constructed beautiful gardens around it from which still remain a source of pride for many surrounding Atwood Acres residents. Buddy & Katie were very active in both their church Ebenezer Baptist Church and civic organizations such as the Winston-Salem Jaycees where he held the prestigious State position of Department Commander in 1960, serving under Governor Luther H. Hodges of Salisbury, North Carolina.
The Atwood Acres subdivision is named after Mr. James E. (Jim) and Mrs. Ruth D. (Ruth) Atwood. Jim and Ruth Atwood were very generous, civic-minded and philanthropic individuals that made lasting contributions to the Winston-Salem community both during their lifetimes as well as through the continued operations of The Atwood Foundation.
The construction of our neighborhood’s homes in the mid to late 1950s occurred during a time of great economic growth with many people moving into new neighborhoods just like ours. Much like today, it was a time when those with limited means could build a home from scratch using some creativity and hard work and for those more fortunate it was an opportunity to upsize from an older smaller home or get “out on the country” which is what inspired Jim & Ruth Atwood back then and continues to inspire many today.